Our department's mission is to cultivate educated citizens who
- READ WIDELY, delighting in texts that challenge them
- REASON CAREFULLY, sensitive to textual nuance and cultural contexts
- THINK CREATIVELY, aspiring to broaden their minds and express their souls
- WRITE BOLDLY, attentive to the needs of diverse audiences
- SERVE FAITHFULLY, rooted in the God-given power of language to inspire, inform, persuade and heal
Share your passion for story with readers and writers in grades 5–12. In addition to your English classes, you’ll take courses in an education department that is one of only 4 in Iowa to be CAEP-accredited.
Our “loose canon” approach means you’ll read widely. Along with courses covering Chaucer and Twain, you can also take classes like Literature of the Developing World and Native American Literature.
Writing and rhetoric
Our interdisciplinary writing major requires you to add a second major or minor. Students have paired it with business, history, political science, public relations and religion. Creative writers can choose from courses in poetry, fiction, nonfiction, playwriting and screenwriting.