In evaluating your application, Northwestern's Global Education Center staff is looking for certain qualities and academic reasons that in our opinion lead to a successful experience abroad. Application criteria include the following:
- Academic achievement and progress toward your degree
- The suitability of the program to your academic plans and goals
- The strength of your preparation to study abroad as evident in your application essay and recommendation letters (motivation and curiosity, self-knowledge, quality of character and social skills)
Familiarize yourself with the study abroad process. Research the off-campus studies office website to learn about your program options, application criteria and deadlines. You should also watch for opportunities to attend a study abroad information session.
Meet with your academic adviser (or faculty leader) to discuss your study abroad plans. Your study abroad application will need to be supported by your academic adviser.
Make an appointment with an off-campus studies adviser to talk about your specific needs and any questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, please schedule an appointment via Handshake or email email@example.com.
Note: If you wish to apply to a program that is not on our list of approved programs, schedule an appointment with the off-campus studies office to talk about your options.
Apply for your program by the application deadline. Completed applications need to be received by:
- 5 p.m. on February 1 for summer study abroad
- 5 p.m. on February 10 for semester study abroad for the fall and spring semesters of the following academic year
For all NWC-administered programs (faculty-led summer programs and the Denver, Oman and Romania Semesters), you may apply via the online application process. Northwestern students will need their NWC username and password. External students (visiting students from other institutions) will need to fill out NWC's non-degree application form first, after which they will be provided with a temporary NWC username and password.
For all NWC-approved affiliated semester programs, please contact the off-campus studies office to start the application process.