Athletic Training M.S. Prerequisites
Next start June 2021 | Credits 57 | Cost/credit $525 | Program length 2 Years (6 semesters) | Format In-person
Students apply directly to the graduate program following completion of any undergraduate degree and will be eligible for acceptance based on the following criteria:
- Completion of ATCAS application including the following:
- Official college transcripts
- Personal narrative
- Professional recommendations
- Athletic training observational experiences
- Completion of Northwestern AT Program ATCAS questions
- Short-answer questions regarding the applicant’s experience.
- NO application fee
- Two letters of recommendation (One from the athletic trainer who oversaw the majority of exploration hours and one from a professor in a major or science course.)
- Minimum of 50 hours of athletic training exploration with a certified athletic trainer
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, or internationally recognized equivalent
- Accepted students will be required to submit official transcripts prior to matriculation
- Meet the AT Program Technical Standards
- Overall and prerequisite course GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Conditional admission may be considered for students with a cumulative GPA of 2.7-3.0.
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a C or better in each course
- These courses must be completed at a regionally accredited institution
- Six of the nine required courses must be completed by the time of application
- If an applicant has not completed all prerequisite courses, they must complete a Plan for Requirement Completion form. The form is available in Northwestern's ATCAS application or contact us directly to request the form.
- No prerequisite course may be taken more than twice.
- Biology (3-4 credits or 1 term)
- Anatomy & Physiology (8 credits or 2 terms with labs)
- Chemistry (4 credits or 1 term with lab)
- Physics (3-4 credits or 1 term)
- Exercise Physiology (3-4 credits or 1 term)
- Kinesiology/Biomechanics (3-4 credits or 1 term)
- Psychology (3-4 credits or 1 term)
- Medical terminology
Guaranteed application process for Northwestern College graduates
Admission to the NWC MSAT program is competitive, and the Northwestern College MSAT program plans to accept approximately 15 students per year. Any Northwestern College graduate who completes all application materials and meets all admissions criteria will be granted a guaranteed spot in the Northwestern College’s MSAT Program.
Northwestern College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education ( CAATE) for the Master of Science in Athletic Training program.