Performances and productions
As a theatre student, you’ll gain experience in all aspects of theatre—producing, directing, acting, lighting, sound design, scenery and costuming—through a full season of productions each year.
Mainstage shows (3 to 4 each year)
Our season includes 3 to 4 faculty-directed productions each year, from Old Testament dramas and Shakespeare to world premieres of new plays. Each season also includes RUSH, a student-produced dance exhibition, as well as other student-initiated productions Recent shows:
- The Cradle Will Rock by Marc Blitzstein
- Talley's Folly by Lanford Wilson
- The Seagull by Anton Chekhov
- Picasso at the Lapin Agile by Steve Martin
- Into the Woods based on the book by James Lapine; music by Stephen Sondheim
- Ballad Hunter by Jenny Laird
- The Foreigner by Larry Shue
- Othello by William Shakespeare
Our annual children’s show is presented to thousands of area schoolchildren and gives theatre students opportunities for some physical comedy. Recent shows:
- A Midsummer Night's Dream adapted by Gillette Elvgren
- Asian Folk Tales by Karen Barker
- Jungle Book Tales adapted by Jeff Taylor from Rudyard Kipling's book
- Tell Me the Truth by Karen Bohm Barker
World Premiere Festival
The work of Northwestern’s student playwrights hits the stage annually in a spring festival of original plays—both one-act and full length. Students also direct.
Touring company: Drama Ministries Ensemble (DME)
Students selected for DME collaborate with the company’s director, Professor Jeff Barker, to script ancient Israelite dramas from the Old Testament or develop original plays that explore contemporary issues. The plays are performed on request, as well as during tours across the U.S.
Black V is a student improv team that gives regular performances across campus and in the community.