Take your education on a trip; you'll be amazed how far you can go. At Northwestern, we believe studying abroad is invaluable preparation for working and living in an increasingly connected world. If you want to explore countries and cultures beyond campus, our Global Education Center staff will help you arrange a high-quality semester-long academic experience—or something shorter, like a four-week summer course. You’ll discover new places, people and passions. At the same time, you might learn more than you can imagine about you and your place in the world.
Among our most popular off-campus semesters are Northwestern’s programs in the countries of Romania and Oman and in the mile-high city of Denver. Or, through the college’s partnerships with other institutions, you can study in another 28 international and 6 domestic locations.
Not able to spend an entire semester studying abroad? Not a problem. We also offer short-term programs of less than a month that are led by NWC faculty. Most are summer study abroad courses, but occasionally a trip is scheduled in the winter during the break between semesters.
7 good reasons to study abroad
By taking advantage of a program offered through Northwestern’s Global Education Center, you will:
- Gain a better understanding of other cultures and value systems
- Develop critical thinking skills about your own culture and values
- Add an international dimension to your studies
- Acquire a global perspective about contemporary issues
- Connect cross-cultural learning to your vocation and calling
- Achieve a competitive advantage in today's global job market
- And, depending on where you study, develop your skills in a foreign language
Studying abroad or off campus may also fulfill your cross-cultural general education requirement, as well as requirements for electives, your major or a minor.