Physician Assistant M.S. Prerequisites
Expected start May 2020 | Program length 27 months | Credits 113 | Format In-person, full time
Applicants will be considered for acceptance upon completion of all admission requirements:
- Completion of the CASPA application (available April 25, 2019) including the following:
- Official College Transcripts
- Personal Narrative
- Professional Recommendations
- Health Care Experience
- Completion of Northwestern College supplemental application and payment of application fee (available April 25, 2019)
- Short-answer questions regarding applicant’s experience.
- $50 non-refundable application fee, applications will not be reviewed until the fee is submitted.
- Overall and science GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
Visit the CASPA website to learn more about the calculation of GPAs.
- Minimum of 500 hours of healthcare experience.
- The Northwestern College PA program will accept hours from paid and unpaid positions.
- Must have direct interaction with and/or observation of medical care of patients.
- 100 of the 500 hours must be completed by the time of application.
- If an applicant does not have all 500 hours, they must complete a Plan for Requirement Completion form, please contact the program to request the form.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, or internationally recognized equivalent.
- All transcripts must be requested by the September 1st application deadline.
- Must be received by Northwestern college by September 15 of the year prior to enrolling.
- Meet the PA Program Technical Standards
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a B- or better in each course.
- These courses must be completed at a regionally accredited institution.
- Five of the eight required courses must be completed by the time of application.
- If an applicant has not completed all prerequisite courses, they must complete a Plan for Requirement Completion form, please contact us to request the form.
(The following lists Northwestern courses. Equivalent prerequisite courses may be taken elsewhere.)
|PA program prerequisite |
(minimum of 3 credits each)
|Eligible NWC course|
|Human Anatomy*||BIO 221|
|Human Physiology*||BIO 222|
|Organic Chemistry||CHE 321|
|Genetics||BIO 202WI or BIO 327|
|Psychology||PSY 100SS or PSY 360|
|Statistics||MAT 116QR or MAT 208QR|
*Must have taken within the last 5 years, or student must complete a waiver form demonstrating the use of this knowledge in the past 5 years.
|Recommended courses |
Preferred application process for Northwestern College graduates
Admission to PA programs is competitive, and the Northwestern College PA program plans to accept only 30 students per year. Preference in the application process will be given to graduates of Northwestern College, provided they meet all of the program admissions requirements. Any Northwestern College graduate who completes all application materials and meets all admissions criteria will be granted an admission interview.
Northwestern College has applied for Accreditation–Provisional from the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Northwestern College anticipates matriculating its first class in May 2020, pending achieving Accreditation–Provisional status at the September 2019 ARC-PA meeting.
Accreditation–Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation–Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students. Should Northwestern College not receive Accreditation–Provisional, the program will not be permitted to start in May 2020.