Michael Andres, Ph.D.
Professor of Religion
Ph.D., Kings College, University of London
M.A., Reformed Theological Seminary
B.A., Arizona State University
Dr. Andres teaches theology, Christian witness and community development, and Calvin and Calvinism. He has research interests in Christian community development, the theology and practice of holistic Christian witness, the authentication of revelation, and the ethics and theology of consumerism. Professor Andres has taken many students to academic and Christian community development conferences and service projects. He serves on the rural/small town committee for the Christian Community Development Association and previously served six years on the Commission on Theology for the Reformed Church in America.
Publications and presentations
- “Between Two Gardens: An Organic Salvation for Community Development from the Biblical Narrative,” in Mobilizing for the Common Good: The Lived Theology of John M. Perkins, ed.s Charles Marsh, Peter Slade, and Peter Goodwin Heltzel (University Press of Mississippi, 2013).
- "Consumer Theology and the Roots of Environmental Degradation" at Annual Meeting of Evangelical Theological Society - Milwaukee, WI (November 2012).
- “Models for Justice and Evangelism in Christian Witness” at Annual Meeting of Evangelical Theological Society – San Francisco, CA (November 2011).
- "Christian Community Development and the Both-And Gospel: Introducing the Whole Gospel through Evangelism and Social Justice” at Annual Meeting of Evangelical Theological Society – New Orleans, LA (November 2009).
- “Aslan, Babbette, and the Dark Knight Together: Response to ‘A Discussion on the Atonement,’” Perspectives: A Journal of Reformed Thought (April 2009).
- “The Filled Hungry and Empty Rich,” Perspectives: A Journal of Reformed Thought (December 2008).
- “Will Evangelicals Teach Them Economic Obedience or Consumer Theology?” Cultural Encounters: A Journal for the Theology of Culture (Summer 2008).
- “Kaufman vs. Marx?: Alienation, Re-presentation, and the Commodification of Theology” – American Academy of Religion Regional Meeting, St. Paul, Minnesota (March 2009)
- “Commodification and Constructive Theology” at Annual Meeting of Evangelical Theological Society, Providence, Rhode Island (November 2008)
- “Will Evangelicals Teach Them Economic Obedience or Consumer Theology?” at Annual Meeting of Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California (November 2007)
- “How Does Thinking About Things Form The Christian Life?: Consumerism, Theological Method, and Sanctification” at American Academy of Religion Regional Meeting, Omaha, Nebraska (March 2007)
- Visiting Lecturer, University of Surrey Roehampton, London, England
- Lecturer, Monkfield College, Lincolnshire, England
- American Academy of Religion
- Christian Community Development Association
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- Marvin and Jerene DeWitt Endowed Religion Professorship
- Northwestern Scholarship Grant
- Lilly Faculty Fellows Grant
- British and Foreign Bible Society Research Grant