Kim Jongerius, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics
Ph.D., Colorado State University
M.S., Colorado State University
B.S., Northern Arizona University
Dr. Jongerius holds master's and doctoral degrees in mathematics, but she enjoys other languages as well. In fact, she combined her undergraduate math major with a major in English and a minor in German.
Dr. Jongerius has published papers in algebraic geometry/commutative ring theory. Her most recent paper, "Rules and Insights: Connecting the Mathematical and Linguistic Abilities of C.S. Lewis," combined math and literature, her two greatest academic loves. She also recently worked with a team of writers from the ACMS (Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences) on a book called Mathematics Through the Eyes of Faith, published in the summer of 2011 by HarperOne. Jongerius co-authored three of the chapters: "Infinity," "Dimension," and "Proof and Truth."
Publications and presentations
- Mathematics Through the Eyes of Faith, co-author of chapters "Infinity," "Dimension," and "Proof and Truth," 2011.
- "Rules and Insights: Connecting the Mathematical and Linguistic Abilities of C.S. Lewis," Journal of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences, 2009.
- "Etale Cohomology of Toric Varieties Defined by Infinite Fans," with Frank DeMeyer, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 1996.
- "Examples of Reflexive Modules," with Frank DeMeyer, Methods in Module Theory, 1992.
Professional involvements and accomplishments
- Mathematical Association of America
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (board member 2005 - 2013; president 2011 - 2013)
- Teaching Excellence Award, Northwestern College, 2005