Sara Sybesma Tolsma, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology
Ph.D., Northwestern University
B.A., Northwestern College (Iowa)
Dr. Tolsma’s research efforts in cancer genetics and cell biology have been widely published in scientific journals and have received a number of awards. A Northwestern College alumna, she holds a doctorate in microbiology/immunology/virology. During a sabbatical, she worked on a cell and molecular genetics textbook for non-science majors, as well as an adult Sunday school curriculum on genetic technologies. She has been a part of several symposia on bioethical issues surrounding genetic technologies, such as stem cells, cloning and genetic testing. Her current laboratory research extends her interest in genetics to populations in a study of mayfly genetic variation in Northwest Iowa watersheds. She is the 2015 recipient of Northwestern's annual Teaching Excellence Award.
Publications and presentations
- Tolsma, S.S., Stem cells, Cloning, GMOs : Learning and Dialoging in the Church about Genetic Techologies, in progress.
- Tolsma, S.S., L. Furlong, J. Locker, B. Wieking, J. Kleinhesselink, L. Levion, J. Parsons. "Assessing the Genetic Relationship Between Mayfly (Baetis) Populations," Iowa Academy of Science Meeting, April 2010.
- Tolsma, S.S. “Stem Cells: What Are They; Where Do They Come From; And Why Are They Important?” Putting Science in its Place: Discovery and Responsibility, 22nd Annual Critical Issues Symposium, Hope College, Holland, MI, October 2003.
- Eppinga, R. and Tolsma, S.S., "Determination of the Mechanism of Increased Capillary Density in Endurance-trained Skeletal Muscle", Iowa State Symposium on the Cell Cycle, April 1997.
- Tolsma, S.S., Volpert, O.V., Good, D.J., Polverini, P.J., Frazier, W.F., and Bouck, N., "Peptides Derived from Two Separate Domains of the Matrix Protein Thrombospondin-1 have Anti-angiogenic Activity", J. Cell Bio., 122:497-511, 1993.
Professional involvements and accomplishments
- Member, Christian Action Commission, Reformed Church in America, 1999-2005.
- Member, New Brunswick Theological Seminary Board of Directors, 2007-present.
- Member, Sioux County Environmental Initiative Steering Committee, 2008-present.
- Chair, Societal Issues Committee for the Iowa Academy of Science. 2009-present.
- Iowa Academy of Science
- American Scientific Affiliation
- Teaching Excellence Award, Northwestern College, 2015
- Sabbatical leave, 2003-04
- Teaching Excellence Award finalist, 2001
- Gramm Travel Fellowship Award, Robert Lurie Cancer Center, Northwestern University, 1994
- National Student Research Forum, Northwesern University student representative, 1994