Application-driven freshman scholarships
While the majority of Northwestern College scholarships are awarded by matching students with the scholarships for which they best meet the criteria, a few require separate applications. Applicants for the following scholarships must be incoming full-time freshmen.
- Strong evidence of Christian faith and character in school, church and/or community
- Top 5% of high school class or with a minimum GPA of 3.8
- Minimum ACT composite score of 28 (or comparable SAT score)
- Intent to enter one of the following health science professions after graduating from Northwestern: physician (M.D. or D.O.), physician’s assistant, optometry, dentistry, podiatric medicine, or physical therapy
- Preference given to applicants who are pre-medicine students
James L. Franken Servant Leadership Scholarships
- Outstanding leadership abilities and a desire to grow in those abilities while a student at Northwestern
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA and an ACT score (or SAT equivalent) of 21 or above
- Letter of recommendation from high school teacher
- One-page essay reflecting on one of the core values of Jim Franken and the Interstates Companies for which he worked: servant-leadership, dependability, integrity, trust, quality or family
The application deadline is March 30. Email your application, teacher recommendation and essay to Dr. Sandi Altena, director of the Franken Leadership Center at Northwestern College.
Students who receive Franken Servant Leadership Scholarships will be required to meet with a mentor throughout their first year at NWC and enroll in the business course Foundations of Leadership during the fall semester of their sophomore year. Foundations of Leadership fulfills an IGE (Integrated General Education) requirement.
Christian Nursing Scholarship
- Nursing major
- First preference for member of Wichert Reformed Church of Saint Anne, IL
- Second preference for resident of Illinois
- If no applicant satisfies the first and second preference criteria, any incoming freshman nursing student will be eligible for consideration
Vogel Paint Scholarship
- A $1,500 annual scholarship is available to a Vogel Paint or Iowa State Bank employee or dependent
- Financial need is considered but not a requirement for this scholarship
- Applicants must demonstrate the ability to achieve their academic goals and exhibit evidence of a sincere Christian faith and character
- Selection will be made by the financial aid office (students receiving the scholarship must re-apply each year with other applicants)
Send a brief letter or email addressing the above qualifications by Feb. 1 to the Northwestern College Director of Financial Aid, 101 7th Street SW, Orange City, IA, 51041.