- Q. How many credits are required for the certificate?
- A. There are 18 credits in the certificate program.
- Q. How quickly can I complete the certificate?
- A. You will complete the certificate in 1 calendar year (3 terms).
- Q. Will I ever need to go to campus?
- A. No, the coursework is available entirely online.
- Q. Will I ever need to be online at a specific time?
- A. No, this program is offered asynchronously, which means aslong as you meet the deadlines set by your professors, you are free to work on the course at whatever time of the day or night is best for you.
- Q. How much does it cost?
- A. Please read about our tuition and fees.
- Q. Will I be able to use financial aid to cover the cost of this program?
- A. This certificate program is eligible for financial aid. We encourage you to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. The financial aid specialists at Northwestern will evaluate your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for federal student aid. Your employer may also offer tuition reimbursement or tuition assistance to help cover the cost of the certificate program.
- Q. When can I begin?
- A. New students can begin any term. Terms begin in August, January and May.
- Q. When is registration for the upcoming term?
- A. See the academic calendar for registration dates.
- Q. What do I need to do to get accepted?
- A. Complete the application and request your official transcripts be sent to Admissions.
- Q. How long are classes?
- A. Courses in the fall and spring term are each eight weeks. In the summer you will take one 4-week class and one 8-week class. Though you take one course at a time, you will take two courses in a term.
- Q. Is it better to get a certificate or a full degree in analytics?
- A. That depends on your personal circumstances and goals. People who choose a certificate often do so because they don’t want to invest the time required to earn a master’s degree. If you wish to make a job change or enter the field more quickly, this certificate qualifies you for entry-level data analyst positions.
- Q. What software do you use in this program?
- A. You will learn to use SAS, R, MySQL and Hadoop to mine, manage and analyze data.
- Q. How much does the software cost?
- A. There will be no charge to you for software.
- Q. What are the prerequisites?
- A. To be successful in this program you need a solid background in math and computer programming. We expect you have taken statistics, calculus and at least one computer science course containing a programming component. We will accept equivalent work experience in place of coursework.
- Q. How many hours each week should I expect to work on this class?
- A. The rule of thumb is about three hours per credit hour per week, so you should anticipate 9 to 12 hours per week. The amount of time you will invest is highly dependent on how fast you read, the type of work assigned during the week, your familiarity with programming, and your learning curve for the software. Some weeks may require less time, and some weeks may require more.
- Q. What kind of jobs can I get with this certificate?
- A. That varies by organization, but you will be prepared for most jobs with titles like data scientist, data analyst and business analyst.