Music scholarship application process
Following are the steps to apply for either a Music Performance Scholarship or the McGilvra Music Scholarship:
- Begin by applying online or requesting a hard copy of the scholarship application form from the music office. If you wish to apply online, you will be asked to create an admissions account or to log in if you already have an account. (If you intend to major in music, you are eligible to apply for the McGilvra Music Scholarship, which uses the same application as the Music Performance Scholarship.)
- Once your application has been received, you will receive a confirmation email that includes the audition requirements in your selected area(s).
- The music office will then forward a link to the online recommendation form to your two references so they can complete the online form and submit it to Northwestern's music department.
- Once Northwestern receives your application and recommendations, you will receive an email and letter from the music office regarding an audition. Included in that correspondence will be an audition form on which you will select an audition date.
- Inform Northwestern's music office of your preferred audition date and time via email or by returning the audition form. The audition dates are also Northwestern College Preview Days, and the music department works with the admissions staff to create the schedule for your visit. If none of the Preview Days work for an audition, you should contact the music office to arrange an alternate date. If the distance you live from NWC prevents you from auditioning in person, you can audition by submitting a DVD or YouTube link.
- Prepare for your audition by reviewing and following the audition requirements listed for your instrument or voice. On your audition day, sign in at the music office (Room #111 in the DeWitt Music Hall). You are welcome to arrive early and warm up in one of our practice rooms. When ready, you may wait by the lounge area for a professor to greet you and show you where to perform. An accompanist will be provided if you are not able to bring your own.
- You should receive a letter within two weeks of your audition regarding the amount of your music scholarship.