Duane G. Jundt, M.A.
Lecturer in History
M.A., University of Notre Dame
B.A., Moorhead State University (MN)
VPH 311 F
Professor Jundt holds a master's degree in history and has completed doctoral work at the University of Notre Dame, where he served as the managing editor of the Journal of Policy History and taught courses in modern American history. A member of the Northwestern College faculty since 2002, he teaches courses in Western civilization and American history. He specializes in modern American political, military and diplomatic history, as well as modern British history. A member of the Advisory Board of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, his research and writing focuses on the life and legacy of President Roosevelt, especially the impact of his years in the Dakota Badlands.
Publications and presentations
- "Theodore Roosevelt" forthcoming in American Governance, Stephen Schechter, editor (Farmington Hills, MI: Macmillan Reference USA/Cengage Learning).
- "'Never Draw Unless You Aim to Shoot' Theodore Roosevelt's Frontier Diplomacy" in Journal of the Wild West History Association, Vol. V, #6, December 2012, pp. 4-17.
- "Revisiting Ranching with Roosevelt" @ http://blog.theodoreroosevelt.org; posted January 14, 2014.
- "Fourth Down and Ted": A Review of The Big Scrum: How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football (Harper Perennial, 2012) in the Theodore Roosevelt Association Journal, Vol. XXXIV, #1,2,3, Winter-Spring-Summer 2013, pp. 51-53.
- Review of The Everything Theodore Roosevelt Book (Adams Media, 2011) in the Theodore Roosevelt Association Journal, Vol. XXXIII, #1,2,3, Winter-Spring-Summer 2012, pp. 91-92.
- "A Roosevelt Reader Roundup: Titles for Tots, Teens, and Those in Between" in the Theodore Roosevelt Association Journal, Vol. XXXI, #1-2, Winter-Spring 2010, pp. 55-62.
- Review of The King and the Cowboy (The Penquin Press, 2008) @ www.theodorerooseveltcenter.org; posted June 21, 2009.
- "Bully Books for Boys and Girls: A Review of Children's Books on Theodore Roosevelt" in the Theodore Roosevelt Association Journal, Vol. XXVIII, #1, Winter 2007, pp. 26-29.
- "Birdwatcher-in-Chief: Theodore Roosevelt and America's Birds" March 5, 2011, Prairie Heritage Center, Peterson, IA; April 5, 2012, Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center, Sioux City, IA; July 24, 2012, Iowa Lakeside Laboratory Faculty Lecture Series, Wahpeton, IA; May 4, 2013, Oak Grove Park, Hawarden, IA; May 31, 2014, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Medora, ND.
- "The Dude is a Cowboy: Theodore Roosevelt and the American West" July 31, 2010, Saturday Night in the Park series, Kawuneeche Visitor Center, Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado; August 16, 2013, Agate Fossil Beds National Monument/Sioux County Historical Society, Harrison, NE.
- "Never Draw Unless You Aim to Shoot: Theodore Roosevelt's Frontier Diplomacy" April 17, 2008 at the 34th Interdisciplinary Great Plains Studies Symposium of the Center for Great Plains Study and the University of Nebraska: "Death, Murder, and Mayhem: Stories of Violence and Healing on the Plains", Omaha, NE
- "Theodore Roosevelt's Language of Landscape on the Little Missouri" October 11, 2002 at the 37th Annual Western Literature Association Conference: "Lands of Little Rain: Creative Oases in the Arid West", Tucson, AZ
- Teaching Assistant and Instructor, University of Notre Dame
- Managing Editor, Journal of Policy History
- Theodore Roosevelt Association
- Theodore Roosevelt Nature and History Association
- Member, Theodore Roosevelt Association Advisory Board, Class of 2015