Ryan Pendell, M.F.A.
Lecturer in English
M.F.A., The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
B.A., Northwestern College
Ryan Pendell earned a Master of Fine Arts degree in writing from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, with concentrations in poetry, flash fiction and collage. His creative thesis, titled "Saturn Psalms & Stammer Anthem," is a book-length collection of poems, short fiction and collage poetry. In addition to teaching English classes for his alma mater, he has served as a writing tutor and teaching assistant for Northwestern's philosophy department. He has also taught composition courses for both Dordt College and Buena Vista University. A published poet, he has given invited readings at Story Studio and for Powell's North Reading Series, both in Chicago. Current work in progress includes a verse drama created entirely from the lines of Robert Frost and a play loosely informed by the book of Jonah.
Publications and presentations
- Journals: Forthcoming in Denver Quarterly Review, "Fiction At Work"
- Chapbook: "Say to These Bones, Live!" Ice Box Press, 2008
- Anthologies: The Fiction At Work Biannual Report, green lantern press, 2010
- Online instructor, Buena Vista University
- Adjust instructor, Dordt College
- Writing tutor in philosophy, Northwestern College
- Editor-in-Chief, Lark(!) Magazine
- Copy editor, Chicago Gallery News