Keith Fynaardt, Ph.D.
Professor of English
First-Year Seminar Coordinator
Ph.D., Northern Illinois University
M.A., Iowa State University
B.A., Dordt College
Dr. Fynaardt’s research—and life—explores the intersection of agriculture and the humanities. In addition to writing and teaching about modern agriculture’s impact on Midwestern croplands and communities, he also is restoring a historic Sioux County farm. His work has led to the development of courses like Literature of the Agricultural Imagination and Writing the Farm. His other scholarly interests are narrative nonfiction writing, contemporary American literature and film, and the agri-business industry. Fynaardt held the Northwestern College Endowed Professorship from 2001 to 2006.
Publications and presentations
- “The Presence of Siouxland.” South Dakota Review. Vol. 38:3, Fall 2000. (Reprinted in Arete an on-line journal of Dordt College, May 2001).
- “‘What I stand for is what I stand on’: Prepositions in Wendell Berry’s Poetry of Cultivation.” The Journal of Kentucky Studies. Vol. 12, 1995.
- “The Spirit of Place as a Usable Past in William Cullen Bryant’s ‘The Prairies.’“ Midamerica: The Yearbook of the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature. Vol. XXI, 1994.
- Book Notice. Mapping the Farm by John Hildebrand. Annals of Iowa. Vol. 61:3, Summer 2002.
- “The Farm and the Future.” Perspectives. September 2001.
- “Troublesome Creek, A Midwestern.” Film review essay with Joey Earl Horstman. Perspectives. January 1998.
- Letter to the Editor. PMLA Forum. Vol. 111.1, January 1996.
- “Jane Smiley’s A Thousand Acres: A Snake in the Garden.” Modern Language Association of America, December 1995, Chicago, Illinois.
- “Douglas Unger’s Leaving the Land: Elegy for a Family Farm.” 27th Annual Dakota History Conference, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, 3 June 1995.
- “Garrison Keillor’s Radio Days: The Electronic Christian Community.” Conference on Christianity and Literature, Greenville College, Greenville, Illinois, 31 March 1995.
- Core competency testing team, Northern Illinois University, 1992-95
- Graduate teaching assistant, Northern Illinois University, 1991-95
- Graduate teaching assistant, Iowa State Univerity, 1989-91.
- Agriculture and Human Values Society
- Practical Farmers of Iowa
- Friends of the Land Institute
- Endowed Professorship, Northwestern College, 2001-06
- Dissertation Fellowship, Northern Illinois University, 1995-96