Northwestern’s education department is one of only 4 in Iowa that’s NCATE accredited, which means you can be immediately certified in most states. It’s also recommended in Rugg’s Recommendations on the Colleges as a top program that attracts top students. NWC’s program emphasizes performance-based education, a national movement that evaluates the teaching abilities of future teachers. That’s why, in addition to your course work, you’ll spend plenty of time in area classrooms and other educational settings—over 100 hours—before you even student teach.
Elementary and Secondary Endorsement in Art, Music, Physical Education and Spanish
A student majoring in art, music, physical education or Spanish may acquire elementary and secondary endorsements by completing the following:
- The art, music, physical education or Spanish major
- The requirements for the elementary endorsement in art, music, physical education and Spanish
- The secondary special methods course in your major (ART308, MUS308 (Vocal), MUS309 (Instrumental), KIN318 or LAN308)
- EDU307, General Methods in Secondary Education
- EDU416, Vertical Student Teaching. Both the elementary and secondary level of student teaching may be combined within the 12-credit requirement.
Note: Students receiving both the elementary and secondary endorsement need one science course.