Green living on campus
Northwestern students and staff are committed to caring for God’s creation. We were the first Iowa college and the second college nationwide to be named a Groundwater Guardian Green Site (GGGS) in recognition of our care for the environment; we have been a GGGS since 2008. The recently built North Suites and DeWitt Learning Commons both utilize geothermal heat and energy recovery ventilators, and North Suites has an underground water detention system.
- The college is installing wind turbines on college-owned farmland.
- The college’s ecological science department manages a prairie restoration project near Hawarden.
- Northwestern’s share-a-bike program encourages students to leave cars parked while running errands around town.
- We’re trayless in our cafeteria, which saves both food waste and dish-washing energy.
- Our year-end "Give and Go" program enables students to donate used furniture and other items to Justice for All, a non-profit collection and distribution ministry.