Business and economics faculty
David Befus, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Business
Ph.D., University of Miami
M.B.A., University of Michigan
B.A., Wheaton College
Dr. Befus joined Northwestern's business faculty after spending two years overseeing a post-earthquake reconstruction program for Compassion International in Haiti. A former missionary kid who grew up in Puerto Rico and speaks Spanish fluently, he is an entrepreneur who believes business and economics can be a tool for Christian ministry.
Much of his career has centered on microfinance development: He served as president of Latin America Mission and international director of microfinance for World Vision. He is also the author of Where There Are No Jobs: Practitioner's Manual for Changing the World Through Enterprise, which has been listed as one of the top 25 books on social enterprise.
Befus has an MBA in international business and a doctorate in economic development. He has also taught at Azusa Pacific University and Westmont College.
Publications and presentations
- "Business Education and Microenterprise Revisted: Productivity, Entrepreneurship, and Job Creation," Christian Business Academy Review, Spring, 2013
- Where There Are No Jobs: Practitioner's Manual for Changing the World Through Enterprise, Baraka Press, Nigeria, 2011
- "Kingdom Business Revisited: The Case of Northern Colombia," Evangelical Missions Quarterly, Vol. 46, No. 2, April 2010
- Chapter: "Economic Development and Holistic Mission," in Business As Mission: From Impoverished to Empowered, EMS #14, 2006
- Chapter: "Transformation Lending: Helping Microenterprises Become Small Businesses," in The New World of Microenterprise Finance, Kumarian Press, 1994
- Manager of Income Generation-Haiti, Compassion International
- Venture Capital Manager, Asociacion Para El Desarrollo Integral, Sincelejo, Colombia
- President, Latin America Mission, Miami
- International Director of Micro Finance, World Vision International
- Regional Director for Latin America, Opportunity International
- Professor of Business Administration, Westmont College
- Management Consultant, Arthur Young and Company, Miami